Choosing the right letting agent for you
5th February 2019
Finding a good letting agency is of great value to landlords who don't have time to deal with technicalities.
A good letting agency is often invaluable for three reasons:
1. They can deal with on the ground issues - especially valuable if you don't live locally, have a demanding job or other commitments such as family
2. They handle technicalities such as checking payments, visiting properties and renewing tenancies
3. They ensure properties remain profitable, reducing landlord stress and ensuring a rental property continues to be a good investment.
For all these reasons and for many more - such as illness or other family challenges that make being a go-it-alone landlord more complicated - many people realise that working with a partner to achieve a successful rental property is the best route to take.
Finding good letting agents
The most sure fire way to identify the best letting agent for your needs is to talk to other local landlords and find out their experience. Good questions to ask include:
- how long have you been working with your letting agent?
- do you have regular communication with the same person or is it difficult to establish relationships?
- does your letting agent come back to you in a timely fashion about things like tenancy renewals and changeovers?
- would you recommend your letting agent to others?
Which letting agent should I choose?
Check that your shortlisted letting agents are registered with a Property Redress Scheme, that they have professional indemnity insurance and that they have a solid client money protection system if you want them to deal with tenants' deposits.
The best letting agents have excellent local knowledge which they can demonstrate to you and will also have a great handle on tenant calibre; they both know how to check out potentially difficult clients and have an instinctive understanding that allows them to recognise anomalies and gaps that could be concealing problems.
The best letting agents for landlords also have a real passion for their work - they act like matchmakers, bringing together the right tenants and the perfect rental property to create a tenancy that is straightforward, productive and rewarding to all parties.
If you're ready to find out why our landlord letting service is second to none, call us today!